The All on 4 Dental Implant Procedure
While dentures were once the only solution, today you also have the option of dental implants, which can look just like (or even better than) the original teeth.
Why Implants Are Necessary
- Bone Loss – the mechanism of chewing promotes healthy bone formation. When a tooth is lost, the bone in that area is no longer stimulated during chewing.
- When multiple teeth are lost, the jawbone shrinks, the lower third of the face shortens, and the cheeks and lips become hollow.
- Dental hygiene can be more difficult with missing teeth.
- Remaining teeth may shift into the open space; this can cause alignment problems and uneven wear.
All About Dental Implants
Healthy teeth include both the upper portion (the actual tooth) and a strong root that attaches the tooth to the jawbone. Titanium is bio-active, which means it will bond with the bone in the jaw to ensure a solid attachment. Dental implants consist of three pieces:
- A titanium root – this is a screw that is placed into the jaw bone and mimics the original tooth root.
- Abutment – this titanium or zirconia piece is screwed onto the root and mimics the prepared tooth that will retain the final crown.
- Crown attachment – a porcelain prosthesis that mimics the natural crown or top part of the tooth.
Caring For Dental Implants
During the healing process, you’ll follow your dentist’s specific instructions, but for the first few days, mouthwashes and salt water rinses rather than brushing are the norm. Although there is no risk of decay with prosthetic teeth, you should still plan to floss and brush to remove food particles and keep the tooth surface clean. Regular oral hygiene is also necessary to prevent bad breath. Finally, oral hygiene helps promote healthy gums, and gum disease can still occur after implant surgery.
Call Downey Family & Cosmetic Dentistry Today
Dr. Hadis Reyhani, Dr. Ben Reyhani, and Dr. Pasha Hakimzadeh, DDS, provide a wealth of combined experience, along with innovative technology and personalized care, to help improve our patients’ dental health so they can enjoy smiling again. To schedule a consultation, call Downey Family Cosmetic Dentistry today at 562-659-7593.